Quantcast

New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

Hullule, Kiran
Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release) program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements, Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.

We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy applications.
I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your next upgrade sooner than later.

Happy about this release.

Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

Misi Mladoniczky
Hi,

Even better than 5.1.2 and 6.3?

Are you talking about the Remedy Core AR Server here, or are you referring
to applications as well? Or maybe the client (in this case Mid-Tier)?

        Best Regards - Misi, RRR AB, http://www.rrr.se (ARSList MVP 2011)

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):

> Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
> We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release)
> program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
> There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social
> Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements,
> Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.
>
> We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the
> most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy
> applications.
> I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your
> next upgrade sooner than later.
>
> Happy about this release.

Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

Hullule, Kiran
Hi Misi,

This includes Platform components and ITSM application.

Best Regards

Are you talking about the Remedy Core AR Server here, or are you referring
to applications as well? Or maybe the client (in this case Mid-Tier)?

        Best Regards - Misi, RRR AB, http://www.rrr.se (ARSList MVP 2011)

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):

> Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
> We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release)
> program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
> There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social
> Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements,
> Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.
>
> We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the
> most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy
> applications.
> I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your
> next upgrade sooner than later.
>
> Happy about this release.

Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

jham36
** I find it interesting that there is another post..... word for word, the same as this one from another user

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/arslist/ICHKYCM67lE

On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:11:39 AM UTC-4, Hullule, Kiran wrote:
Hi Misi,

This includes Platform components and ITSM application.

Best Regards

Are you talking about the Remedy Core AR Server here, or are you referring
to applications as well? Or maybe the client (in this case Mid-Tier)?

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):

> Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
> We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release)
> program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
> There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social
> Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements,
> Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.
>
> We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the
> most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy
> applications.
> I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your
> next upgrade sooner than later.
>
> Happy about this release.

Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

Jon Slaven
** Pretty sure that's the same guy jham

Thanks,
Jon
Jon Slaven | Amway | 616-787-7132 | [hidden email]

From:        jham36 <[hidden email]>
To:        [hidden email],
Date:        09/26/2012 10:40 AM
Sent by:        "Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)" <[hidden email]>

** I find it interesting that there is another post..... word for word, the same as this one from another user

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/arslist/ICHKYCM67lE

On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:11:39 AM UTC-4, Hullule, Kiran wrote:

Hi Misi,

This includes Platform components and ITSM application.

Best Regards

Are you talking about the Remedy Core AR Server here, or are you referring
to applications as well? Or maybe the client (in this case Mid-Tier)?

       Best Regards - Misi, RRR AB,
http://www.rrr.se (ARSList MVP 2011)

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):
Find these products, and many free tools and utilities, at
http://rrr.se.

> Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
> We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release)
> program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
> There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social
> Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements,
> Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.
>
> We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the
> most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy
> applications.
> I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your
> next upgrade sooner than later.
>
> Happy about this release.

attend wwrug12
www.wwrug12.com ARSList: "Where the Answers Are"

Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

Goodall, Andrew C
**

You know roofers and painters give you a discount on their products and services if you post a sign in your drive way ;)

I’m sure he’s a good honest guy – we’ll just have to find out for ourselves. Personally wouldn’t touch it until patch 3 or above.

I’d be interested to know the recorded defect rate on all product versions and patch releases to date and if it starts to fall – now that would be encouraging that BMC has improved their QA process.

Regards,

Andrew C. Goodall

Software Engineer

Development Services

[hidden email]

jcpenney

6501 Legacy Drive

Plano, TX 75024

jcp.com

Are you talking about the Remedy Core AR Server here, or are you referring
to applications as well? Or maybe the client (in this case Mid-Tier)?

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):

> Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
> We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release)
> program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
> There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social
> Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements,
> Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.
>
> We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the
> most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy
> applications.
> I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your
> next upgrade sooner than later.
>
> Happy about this release.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and
may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message including any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

Stroud, Natalie K
**

Don’t get me started on the topic of BMC’s QA process for ITSM, LOL.   I do QA as opposed to development for our Remedy team, and while I do appreciate that it’s difficult to do QA well (and I think perhaps harder when you have different server OSes, DB languages, etc. all supported combinations of which have to play nicely together – we at least have just the one server OS and DB language to worry about), it’s definitely an area that BMC could stand to improve.  Their testing appears to me to lack thoroughness (i.e. testing all the different places where a given action can be done – such as creating relationships between tickets, which can be done in 3 different places I know of offhand in Incident Management alone), does not appear to look at consistency of behavior of common fields like the Work Info or Notes fields or how the same information is presented between modules (in 7.6.04 SP2, try doing a Prod Cat search for a term that should have multiple matches in both Incident and Change Management for an example of what I mean), and at times appears not to include the practice of regression testing.

Does anybody know if they have a dedicated QA team for ITSM?  Or do they just have teams of various people for whom testing is one among many duties?  If the latter is true, it would certainly explain some of the holes I’ve seen in their product.

Natalie Stroud

SAIC @ Sandia National Laboratories

ARS-ITSM Tester

Albuquerque, NM USA

[hidden email]

ITSM 7.6.04 SP2 – Windows 2008 – SQL Server 2008

Are you talking about the Remedy Core AR Server here, or are you referring
to applications as well? Or maybe the client (in this case Mid-Tier)?

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):

> Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
> We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release)
> program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
> There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social
> Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements,
> Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.
>
> We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the
> most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy
> applications.
> I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your
> next upgrade sooner than later.
>
> Happy about this release.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

Goodall, Andrew C
**

Couldn’t agree more Natalie. I’ve worked with many software vendors over the years and BMC seem to have the most bugs or “working as designed” excuses I’ve ever seen.

This is one area I truly wish BMC would pursue to improve with a passion.

Regards,

Andrew C. Goodall

Software Engineer

Development Services

[hidden email]

jcpenney

6501 Legacy Drive

Plano, TX 75024

jcp.com

Are you talking about the Remedy Core AR Server here, or are you referring
to applications as well? Or maybe the client (in this case Mid-Tier)?

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):

> Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
> We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release)
> program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
> There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social
> Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements,
> Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.
>
> We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the
> most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy
> applications.
> I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your
> next upgrade sooner than later.
>
> Happy about this release.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

bruce sisk
**
The files don't appear to be available for download yet from the EPD web page. Am I missing something or is not available yet.

Bruce

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 26, 2012, at 1:51 PM, "Goodall, Andrew C" <[hidden email]> wrote:

**

Couldn’t agree more Natalie. I’ve worked with many software vendors over the years and BMC seem to have the most bugs or “working as designed” excuses I’ve ever seen.

This is one area I truly wish BMC would pursue to improve with a passion.

Regards,

Andrew C. Goodall

Software Engineer

Development Services

[hidden email]

jcpenney

6501 Legacy Drive

Plano, TX 75024

jcp.com

Are you talking about the Remedy Core AR Server here, or are you referring
to applications as well? Or maybe the client (in this case Mid-Tier)?

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):

> Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
> We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release)
> program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
> There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social
> Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements,
> Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.
>
> We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the
> most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy
> applications.
> I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your
> next upgrade sooner than later.
>
> Happy about this release.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

bruce sisk
**
It seems there is a 8.0 patch 1 ars download available...

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 26, 2012, at 1:51 PM, "Goodall, Andrew C" <[hidden email]> wrote:

**

Couldn’t agree more Natalie. I’ve worked with many software vendors over the years and BMC seem to have the most bugs or “working as designed” excuses I’ve ever seen.

This is one area I truly wish BMC would pursue to improve with a passion.

Regards,

Andrew C. Goodall

Software Engineer

Development Services

[hidden email]

jcpenney

6501 Legacy Drive

Plano, TX 75024

jcp.com

Are you talking about the Remedy Core AR Server here, or are you referring
to applications as well? Or maybe the client (in this case Mid-Tier)?

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):

> Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
> We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release)
> program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
> There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social
> Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements,
> Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.
>
> We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the
> most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy
> applications.
> I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your
> next upgrade sooner than later.
>
> Happy about this release.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

Easter, David
**

It is available, so something is missing for you.  You may want to check with your sales representative and make sure that it’s on your support contract.  EPD will only display products that are available on your contract.

-David J. Easter

Manager of Product Management, AR System

BSM & Atrium Solutions Management

BMC Software, Inc.

The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed in this E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc.  My voluntary participation in this forum is not intended to convey a role as a spokesperson, liaison or public relations representative for BMC Software, Inc.

Are you talking about the Remedy Core AR Server here, or are you referring
to applications as well? Or maybe the client (in this case Mid-Tier)?

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):

> Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
> We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release)
> program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
> There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social
> Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements,
> Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.
>
> We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the
> most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy
> applications.
> I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your
> next upgrade sooner than later.
>
> Happy about this release.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

Easter, David
**

Yes – Patch 001 released at exactly the same time as 8.0.00.   Obviously, the recommendation is to load Patch 001 right after installing / upgrading to 8.0.00.

-David J. Easter

Manager of Product Management, AR System

BSM & Atrium Solutions Management

BMC Software, Inc.

The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed in this E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc.  My voluntary participation in this forum is not intended to convey a role as a spokesperson, liaison or public relations representative for BMC Software, Inc.

Are you talking about the Remedy Core AR Server here, or are you referring
to applications as well? Or maybe the client (in this case Mid-Tier)?

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):

> Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
> We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release)
> program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
> There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social
> Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements,
> Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.
>
> We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the
> most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy
> applications.
> I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your
> next upgrade sooner than later.
>
> Happy about this release.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

Jose Manuel Huerta Guillén
**
David,

Sincerely, I don't understand why a product is released with a patch at the first day. What's the reason to not integrate the patch with the product for this first release?

Regards,

Jose Manuel Huerta

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Easter, David <[hidden email]> wrote:
**

Yes – Patch 001 released at exactly the same time as 8.0.00.   Obviously, the recommendation is to load Patch 001 right after installing / upgrading to 8.0.00.

-David J. Easter

Manager of Product Management, AR System

BSM & Atrium Solutions Management

BMC Software, Inc.

The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed in this E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc.  My voluntary participation in this forum is not intended to convey a role as a spokesperson, liaison or public relations representative for BMC Software, Inc.

Are you talking about the Remedy Core AR Server here, or are you referring
to applications as well? Or maybe the client (in this case Mid-Tier)?

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):

> Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
> We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release)
> program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
> There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social
> Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements,
> Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.
>
> We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the
> most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy
> applications.
> I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your
> next upgrade sooner than later.
>
> Happy about this release.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

Hulmes, Timothy CTR MDA/ICTO
If you look at the release date it is Jun 23rd of 2012.  That is when they released it to certain customers.  I am guessing the patch it related to those customers feedback.

Tim

http://theremedyforit.com/

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Easter, David <[hidden email]> wrote:

        **

        Yes - Patch 001 released at exactly the same time as 8.0.00.   Obviously, the recommendation is to load Patch 001 right after installing / upgrading to 8.0.00.

        -David J. Easter

        Manager of Product Management, AR System

        BSM & Atrium Solutions Management

        BMC Software, Inc.

        The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed in this E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc.  My voluntary participation in this forum is not intended to convey a role as a spokesperson, liaison or public relations representative for BMC Software, Inc.

                Are you talking about the Remedy Core AR Server here, or are you referring
                to applications as well? Or maybe the client (in this case Mid-Tier)?

                        Best Regards - Misi, RRR AB, http://www.rrr.se (ARSList MVP 2011)

                Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):

                > Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
                > We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release)
                > program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
                > There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social
                > Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements,
                > Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.
                >
                > We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the
                > most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy
                > applications.
                > I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your
                > next upgrade sooner than later.
                >
                > Happy about this release.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

Easter, David
Correct.

BMC's interpretation of SOX and other accounting standards required that the same exact code be released for General Availability that was initially released to the early access customer(s) since the code was put into production.  Thus we could not further modify 8.0.00 and had to make the additional hotfixes available in a patch.

Thanks,

David J. Easter
Product Line Manager, AR System
BSM & Atrium Solutions Mgmt
BMC Software, Inc.

If you look at the release date it is Jun 23rd of 2012.  That is when they released it to certain customers.  I am guessing the patch it related to those customers feedback.

Tim

                Are you talking about the Remedy Core AR Server here, or are you referring
                to applications as well? Or maybe the client (in this case Mid-Tier)?

                        Best Regards - Misi, RRR AB, http://www.rrr.se (ARSList MVP 2011)

                Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):

                > Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
                > We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release)
                > program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
                > There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social
                > Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements,
                > Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.
                >
                > We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the
                > most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy
                > applications.
                > I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your
                > next upgrade sooner than later.
                >
                > Happy about this release.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

strauss
**

Tried that; twice. Each time the patch blew up, and I opened an Issue on it.

This is on a stack install of 8.0 on a clean 2008 R2/SQL 2008 VM set. The stack install seemed to go perfectly. Two shots at the ARS patch – two failures to install, and I gave up.  I cannot tell if it actually corrupted the ARS 8.0 installation, but the mid-tier hung and threw errors repeatedly yesterday.  It’s on a separately installed Tomcat 6.0.35 instance that is set up EXACTLY like the ones we have in production with 7.6.04.03, but it seemed to have caching problems even after a full preload then turning preload off.

So I am wishing that I had NOT tried to run the patch 001 installer immediately after the 8.0.00 stack install.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/

Are you talking about the Remedy Core AR Server here, or are you referring
to applications as well? Or maybe the client (in this case Mid-Tier)?

Products from RRR Scandinavia (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11):

> Congratulations to the BMC Team on the 8.0 GA!
> We participated in BMC's Select Market Availability (early release)
> program and has been running 8.0 in production since September 4th.
> There are some great new features in 8.0 (redesigned SRM interface, Social
> Collaboration, Email Rules Engine, Copy/Paste Workflow elements,
> Wiki-style documentation, and many more) that we're really excited about.
>
> We upgraded from ITSM 7.6.00 over the summer and 8.0 has been one of the
> most stable releases I can remember in my 12+ years developing Remedy
> applications.
> I definitely recommend everyone take a hard look and start planning your
> next upgrade sooner than later.
>
> Happy about this release.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: New Remedy Release 8.0 - Great feedback about product from one key customer of BMC Software

Peter Romain
**

The patches all ran fine for me after a clean install of the individual components.

I didn’t use the stack installer as in 7.6 it contained loads of language packs that affect the running of the system on a VM on a laptop. I assume this is the same on V8?